The Institute has the “Strategic Development Concept of the Institute of Technical Mechanics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the State Space Agency of Ukraine for 2018-2023.” (in Ukrainian)
The institute provides scientific and technical support to the execution of the projects of the National Space Programs of Ukraine and coordinates R&D’s in space engineering under the supervision of the National Space Agency of Ukraine.
At present, fundamental and applied research are conducted at the institute. Those involve:
- the dynamics of mechanical and hydromechanical systems, of launch vehicle systems, and of rail and motor transport (departments 3, 5, 7, 9);
- the aero-thermo and gas dynamics of power plants and flying and space vehicles and their subsystems (departments 6, 5, 9);
- the strength, reliability, and optimization of mechanical systems, launch vehicles, and spacecraft (department 8);
- the mechanics of interaction of a solid with ionized media and electromagnetic radiation (departments 4, 10);
- the systems analysis of trends and prospects in space engineering (department 9).